Happy World Ocean Day!
June 8th is a special day set aside for over 140 countries to unite and celebrate saving our Seas. This year's campaign initiative is kicking off as the (30x30) Plan; a global movement to protect at least 30% of our oceans by 2030. Our leaders have big decisions to make about our environment and we want to use our voice to make healthier choices for our planet and our lives.
Essentially, we need our oceans to survive. Trashed, toxic product waste is entering our only bodies of water at overwhelming rates. (Refinery 29)
Some of the world's most beloved beauty products are poisoning the ocean and human life. The other night I watched the Netflix Documentary: A Plastic Ocean. At one point, the documentary was talking about plastic waste that we send down our drains. The movie quoted “Microbeads used in facial cleansers, toothpaste and cosmetics are a significant source of ocean microplastics that even phytoplankton feed on, killing our key oxygen producer.” (Netflix: A Plastic Ocean)
3 Main Reasons Why the Ocean is Important to Us:
1. The ocean is home to both discovered and undiscovered species that can help tell about the history of our entire existence.
Our oceans are 80% unexplored.
2. The ocean is our main source of oxygen and regulates climates:
Our oceans take up over two thirds of planet Earth and are responsible for producing 70% of the oxygen we need; all thanks to a small but mighty organism known as phytoplankton. Phytoplankton is a microscopic plant (a component of the plankton) that is carried with the flow of the ocean, absorbing CO2, releasing oxygen, and even helping to regulate our climate.
3. The Ocean is an important source of nutrients.
Within the ocean is seafood- fish, crabs, oysters, lobster...hungry yet!? We also use plants from the ocean, like seaweed and algae for cooking, and of course, self-care products!
We are suffering the negative effects of pollution and global warming every single day. The ocean needs us to reduce pollution and be conservative of resources because, well, life pretty much depends on it.
Rich in vitamin-sea, and packed with power from the planet, some of these products have become part of my every day routine:
- Ilia Blue Light Filter Spray: Contains hydrolyzed algae and sea water Use as a primer, or setting mist.
- Kypris Glow Philtre: The Glow Philtre treatment mask blends refining pomegranate pith enzymes, softening thalassic extracts of sea fennel stem cells & sea algae, with ultra hydrating silver ear mushroom to revitalize skin’s surface.
- Maya Chia Eye Achiever: The Eye Achiever is a highly concentrated, multi-correctional eye serum expressly created to treat the delicate skin around the contour (where sunburn and damage is common). More like 'Sea-rum', this product contains five macro and micro-algae extracts (astaxanthin, sea fennel, sea lavender, wakame, algae extract)
Recycle with AILLEA + Terracycle for Rewards!
Don't forget to bring your empties of ANY (cleaned) brand beauty bottle or packaging for us to recycle for you (10 loyalty pts. per recyclable). We are proud to say that we have recycled over 300 units of empty bottles and packaging in our Terracycle Boxes since launching in April.