Kathryn’s Make Ahead Brownies
(gluten free and dairy free and nobody will know)
My mom has been making the Loaves and Fishes brownies for years and they have always been a crowd pleaser (and reportedly the original William Greenberg recipe which was famous in NY back in the day). I thought I would try to make them gluten and dairy free, and I dare say, they are FANTASTIC. The big part of these is to make them the day ahead as they need to be refrigerated overnight.
Here's what you'll need:
- 4 eggs
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Package Miyokos Vegan Butter (the one with the salt)
- 5 oz Unsweetened Chocolate (99% Cacao)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Cup Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour – I have made these with a couple different flours, and the Bob’s Red Mill is the best for this recipe, when I made it with King Arthur flour it tasted flour-y.)
- ¼ tsp of kosher salt
How to bake these delicious brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt Chocolate and Butter together in a sauce pan on low heat and stirring frequently
- In a large mixing bowl, whip eggs until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in sugar and then the vanilla.
- Add melted butter and chocolate to the sugar mixture and blend slowly to mix.
- Add in the baking soda
- Slowly add in the flour
- Add in the salt. (I will say, I skip the directions on this and instead of just adding ¼ tsp SLOWLY grind in coarse sea salt a little at a time and taste the batter - repeating until I get that magical sweet/salty balance.)
- Pour batter in to a non-stick or greased 9x13 pan
- Bake for 24 Minutes. The brownies should have the SLIGHTEST movement when you shake the pan, but should not move like jello. At altitude I need to bake a little more. I start with 24 minutes and then keep checking minute by minute until they are done.
- Let cool and then put in fridge overnight. (the fridge is the magic step where unicorns and fairies secretly makes them extra dense and fudgy)
- The next day, remove from fridge and bring back to room temperature to serve.